Are you a graduate waiting for employment? Are you concerned about not getting a job despite several efforts?
Do you know Personal Development is very vital in getting early job? Do you know what is personal development or personal development plan? If not, you may follow this to get greater success in your job hunt.
The cardinal objective of Personal Development Plan is to develop an expansive thinking on what is required for individual development and review what is being learned and incorporate corrective measures for quality learning. In the process of personal development, job aspirants should follow a structured and disciplined tasks as listed below. One may like to add more challenges to the list but these should form the minimum tasks to be achieved on a regular basis. The aim should be to achieving personal, educational and career development.
- Excel in academics
- Develop humble and recognizable identity among peers and faculty
- Identify job oriented skills and master any one of those skills preferably relevant to your academic branch
- Improve communication skills
- Follow important trends in technology, job market and news
How does personal development help students?
At the most one may have to spend 10 hours a day to achieve the above targets. But the result will be astounding. Students grow more confident, challenging and vibrant. The resultant approach will convince employers that they (job aspirant freshers) are employable and they know how to excel in job.
What are the expectations of an employer?
An organization expects a job seeker should present his/her knowledge with clarity as to what they know, what they can do and what they have done hitherto. This will help employer determine the potential of a prospective employee.
What are the most common interactions during interviews of fresh graduates?
- Questions on the contents of resume
- Questions on career interests / aspirations
- Questions on family background
- Questions on significant achievements in student life
- Knowledge about the job applied for and the employer’s business
- General approach to finish any given task
- Knowledge of present trends
- Temperament in various situations
- Flexibility, adaptability and the capacity to cope with & manage change
- Self motivation and drive
- Analytical ability and decision making
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Team-working ability and skills
- Leadership ability
As a student how you should prepare yourself for any interview?
- Be prepared for reasoning, numerical and verbal ability tests
- Informal discussions
- Case studies
- Solving complex problems analytically
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Topic research
- Group discussions or exercises
While assessing a candidate, emphasis will be on how he thinks and behave in new situations or when encountering new tasks/challenges. Many organizations don’t give full emphasis on job knowledge or technical depth. They like to see the approach of a candidate attempting a given task.
Building confidence to face interviews is a key factor for personal development. Practice and familiarity with interview situations plus knowledge on strategies interviewers employ is clearly beneficial. In the context of group exercises, skills acquired during academic programs and extra curricular activities are of importance e.g. leadership role, team member activity and effective working with others.
Other activities of almost equal importance are familiarity with documentation skills, quick processing of digital data, effective presentation making using PowerPoint like tools, and knowledge to compile case studies and research reports.
Personal development helps student understand:
- The competencies they have
- The situations to evidence them
- How to relate the impact of their competencies on things they achieved
- How they might be applied and evidenced in new situations
- How to enhance their competencies
Desirably a student should start his personal development plan during his penultimate year of graduation. The only sacrifice a student should do is ‘sparing 10 to 12 hours a day’ to the above plan. If a student can follow time management matrix defined in this post, it is certain he/she will be able to achieve greater things in life.
Dear youth: Acquire knowledge and energize yourself.
Time is the raw material for success.