What is positive attitude?
Positive means “displaying affirmation or acceptance”.
The dictionary meaning of attitude is “A complex mental state involving beliefs and feelings and values and dispositions to act in certain ways”.
What does ‘positive attitude’ mean? It is the (a) values and dispositions that generally display affirmation or acceptance to a situation, (b) willingness to be part of any promotive environment, (c) to unify in a situation creating and promoting salubrious conditions, (d) to accept a negative situation with generous or sportive feeling (e) to respect people on as is where is basis and (f) to behave in a way not to hurt a situation, an individual or a cause in question. We can define positive attitude in many positive ways. Positive attitude is the path for an individual’s success in every walk of life.
Positive attitude has several forms. An individual who bears positive attitude may display it in variety of ways to suit the situational requirements. The importance of positive attitude is majorly emphasized in the context of youth who are in the path of acquiring knowledge, developing their future, making their career, or aiming to occupy leadership roles in future.
Every activity of ours from the time we wake up and till the time we retire to sleep involves communication. The activity could be interactions with family members, confabs with college mates, seeking advice from faculty, shopping things, communicating love to the significant other or any other activity. Communication doesn’t be always with others. We too often communicate with ourselves. It may be once in a day, several times in a day or seldom in a week. In fact communicating with our own-self is the most important activity for self-development. The quality of response we receive from within us in such situations mostly depends on our attitude. Positive or negative it all will be in our perceptional understanding on related things. Thus, we reflect our attitude either positive or negative through our every day communication. Hence, we should be careful about the words we speak with others to reflect our personality appropriately.
What is positive attitude in practical sense? How should we reflect our positive attitude? Let us check how many of the following traits we practice in our day today life.
- I prefer to present my self with clean attire, groomed personality and attentive mind.
- I prefer fashion and trends. But I give importance to the situations that demand dress code or rules of communication.
- I give value to others thoughts. I am a good listener. I try to reflect my thoughts or conversation on need basis without outpouring my language skills or competence.
- I give value to the personal side of the individuals and respect them without reservations.
- I care for transparency, honesty and sincerity in what I do and in what I promise to do.
- I generally listen to the advice and suggestions of elders about my future growth.
- I generally invite criticism by faculty, teachers, seniors, mentors or elders with whom I interact for various purposes.
- I do not take things personal when others unnecessarily criticize me. I rather like to focus on other important matters or exit from the sight.
- I try to maintain cool and controlled temperament against instigation, indignation, or incitement.
- I am very emotional but I try to control my emotions and outbursts when situation arise.
- I prefer to speak soft without hurting others. I guard my communication so as to be free from accusations, blames or sarcastic remarks on others. I generally behave without inhibitions.
- I give utmost importance to my bodily gestures and gesticulations so as to present myself decent and attractive.
- I prefer to spend my time in a disciplined and productive way to achieve my short-term and long-term goals.
- I prefer change. I accept change wherever it is required for my growth and development.
- I am empathetic, caring and loving.
Positive attitude doesn’t end at the thinking and reflecting our communication or presentation. It also reflects our seriousness about our future, our vision to achieve positive growth in future, and acting on required things positively ever.
Let us think positive and let us work positive for our growth and development.